It’s Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of fresh headlines and general good stuff. Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Here’s why, if you bought a ticket for an event in Fresno, chances are good you’ll have to leave your backpack or purse at home.
• This is big: Westlands Water District turned its back on California WaterFix, which could mean the death knell for the $17.1 billion project commonly known as “the Delta tunnels.”
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• See Tuesday’s Central California Women’s Conference through the eyes of columnist Marek Warszawski. And keynote speaker Amy Purdy brought the inspiration: “Instead of looking at all of our obstacles as something negative or bad, maybe we can begin to look at them as blessings.”
• A father and his two children are recovering from being struck by lightning in Sequoia National Park.
• Hurricane Maria slammed into Puerto Rico early this morning, carrying winds of more than 150 mph. Here’s the latest.
• The death toll in Mexico has surpassed 200 following Tuesday’s 7.1 earthquake as rescuers look for survivors in collapsed buildings.
Watch This Video
• Amy Purdy may have been the most inspiring keynote speaker the Women’s Conference has had in years.
Good Stuff to Know
• Words with Friends obsessives, take heed: You now can defeat friends and family with “hangry,” “yas” and “bestie.”
• A phone scam called “caller ID spoofing” is one of the latest ways in which human scum try to separate you from your money. Beware.
• The transformation of Fulton Mall into Fulton Street took a big step Tuesday, when one-third of the roadway opened to traffic. We took it for a test drive.
• Faith leaders prayed, sang and chanted outside Rep. Devin Nunes’ office in Visalia, expressing concerns about federal policies on immigration and health care.
• After bullies threw rocks at his boy, and the child wanted to wear a mask to school, an Idaho dad made a wrenching plea on Facebook: “My heart is in pieces right now...”