It’s Monday, Sept. 11, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of fresh headlines and general good stuff. Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Holding photos and reading names of loved ones lost 16 years ago, 9/11 victims' relatives marked the anniversary of the attacks at ground zero this morning with a solemn and personal ceremony.
• The latest on Irma, now a tropical storm but still packing winds near hurricane force winds. After thundering through Florida, its outer bands have reached Georgia.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
• Who’s smoking pot? A nationwide survey says the rate of young users (17 and younger) is at a 14-year low.
• Charles Manson is far from the only notorious inmate at Corcoran state prison. Here are six others.
• Why, after soaking-wet winter, are we enduring an abundance of wildfires? We’ve got some answers.
• The death toll from the 8.2 earthquake that struck southwestern Mexico last week has risen to 90, authorities said.
Watch This Video
• The power of Irma.
Good Stuff to Know
• What do charcoal, mud paste and coconut oil have to do with sparkling teeth? What, indeed.
• Nearly 270 people evacuated because of the Railroad Fire returned home last weekend. “We can’t say it enough how thankful and appreciative we are,” one said.
• If you believe in moral victories, Fresno State’s football team secured one against No. 1 Alabama. Next up: A chance to double down at No. 6 Washington in Seattle.
• Speaking of sports: SLOANE STEPHENS! Woo!
• These two National Guardsmen had an intimate beach wedding all planned, complete with a white, poofy dress for the bride. Then Irma happened. So they improvised.