It’s Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Foreign exchange students at a “Welcome to America” party in Clovis were pelted with paintballs fired from a car, police said.
• Several Fresno church leaders called on Fresno Unified school trustees to remove board president Brooke Ashjian after he likened LGBT advocates to perpetrators of the Armenian Genocide.
• Charges will be dropped for four people arrested last spring after what they say was a peaceful protest against Fresno Mayor Lee Brand’s stance on immigration.
• Here’s how you can donate to relief efforts in Texas following Hurricane Harvey ... and how to avoid bogus charities.
Watch This Video
• “Serial carjacker” is a job description fraught with potholes. And this guy has the road rash to prove it. (Warning: Video contains exposed butt.)
Good Stuff to Know
• California could join Oregon in allowing people to register their gender as “X” instead of male or female.
• “We’re No.17! We’re not 17!” Fresno State chants with glee. And, truly, it is a pretty big deal.
• A hawk was hobbling and needed shelter from Hurricane Harvey. So he took a cab.
• For the first time since 1980, a freshman will start at running back for a Fresno State football season opener. And the kid has a familiar name.
• We suspect Derek Carr is losing no sleep over the fact he is no longer the NFL’s highest-paid player.
• Too far? A Memphis theater that’s been screening “Gone with the Wind” for 30-plus years has stopped. The last showing was on the same day as the Charlottesville white supremacist rally.