It’s Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• The Mouse is loose. Disney will launch its own subscription streaming service, cutting ties with Netflix.
• Fresno Unified’s school board meets tonight. Expect some fireworks, thanks to recent comments about sex education by board president Brooke Ashjian.
• For the first time in California Lottery history, the Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots have surpassed $300 million at the same time.
Watch This Video
• Firefighters save an opossum who got stuck in a swimming pool drain.
Good Stuff to Know
• The competition for Fresno State starting quarterback just got much more interesting. Welcome back to the Valley, Marcus McMaryion.
• The Fresno County Recorder’s office is literally moving into the 21st century. More than a decade late, but who’s counting?
• Pronounce Quesadilla Gorilla however you want, “as long as it rhymes,” the owner says. And get ready for two new GD restaurants, both in Fresno.
• A car that plunged off a cliff and into the swollen Kings River two weeks ago, with two people believed inside, remains in the rapid waters as officials try to figure out how to remove it.
• Enter the world of Hollywood Boulevard’s superheroes, who get their capes from Target and hail from the planet Ukraine.
• Taylor Swift’s attorneys say they aren’t trying to bankrupt a former DJ accused of touching her backside.