It’s Thursday, Aug. 3, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Scientists successfully edited DNA to rid human embryos of an inherited trait of heart disease. Expect to hear “germ-line editing” in the months to come in conversations laced with hand-wringing.
• President Trump has embraced legislation that would dramatically reduce legal immigration and shift the nation toward a system that prioritizes merit and skills over family ties.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
• It’s tough to be bummed about a vehicle breakdown when you’ve got a trumpet and trombone. Members of the Kansas State band waited out a tire blowout with an impromptu concert (video above).
• Fresno County ordered a mother of five to pay her ex-husband nearly $500 a month in child support – most of which will go toward paying back his state aid.
• Hold on tight and keep cool, friends. A sometimes-muggy heat wave has arrived. Here’s how long it’s expected to last.
Watch This Video
• President Trump’s senior policy adviser, Stephen Miller, and CNN reporter Jim Acosta locked into a testy exchange over immigration policy. Political theater at its best.
Good Stuff to Know
• Bulldog born. Bulldog bred. Bulldogs wed. Here’s a roundup of Fresno State athletes who’ve tied the knot.
• If “Independence Day” and “War of the Worlds” are among your favorite movies, this could be your dream job.
• Amazon is hiring. By the tens of thousands. And Fresno should get a piece of the action.
• This 83-year-old’s birthday wish was simple: a ride in a Lamborghini. Blow out the candles, sir.
• Get to know snowboarder, Paralympian and all-around inspiration Amy Purdy, the keynote speaker at next month’s Central California Women’s Conference.
• A Fresno woman says a burglar took an urn that holds the ashes of her son. She is pleading for its return.
• Shall we agree that removing your clothes shouldn’t be a per-requisite for having a prescription filled?