It’s Friday, July 28, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Should Fresno city employees who are licensed to carry a concealed weapon be able to pack heat on the job? Fresno City Councilman Garry Bredefeld thinks so.
• The blame game among Republicans is at full throttle after the Senate early this morning failed to pass the so-called “skinny repeal” of Obamacare.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
• President Donald Trump's new communications director laid into chief of staff Reince Priebus and top adviser Steve Bannon, using language better suited to a mobster movie. Anthony Scaramucci is incensed about White House news leaks and believes Priebus is a source.
• “Only” a few hundred million dollars separate Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos as the two richest men in the world.
• The carnival thrill ride that killed a man in Ohio has appeared on The Big Fresno Fair’s midway in the past. What will happen this year?
Watch This Video
• A pair of artists bring a little magic to blank sidewalks.
Good Stuff to Know
• Trying to decide where to have your baby? There’s an app for that. It’s called Yelp.
• A Los Banos mom’s decision to post video she took of a mob of teens drinking and partying at her house is getting cheers and jeers.
• Bethany Clough’s report on the Fresno Food Expo is so stuffed with trendy calories that a one-week cleanse might be needed afterward.
• Coalinga was among the first in line at the legal-cannabis trough, envisioning new revenue streams of marijuana cultivation and sales. So why are city employees getting layoff notices?
• This year’s Taco Truck Throwdown has new, spicy flavors. For one, it’s a two-day thing now. For another, galactic speed-eating champ Joey Chestnut is coming. Get the details here.
• When you’re drunk at someone else’s home and told you can’t sleep it off there, what do you do? This man’s decision destroyed two lives.