It’s Monday, July 24, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• An 18-year-old woman was arrested in Merced County on suspicion of causing a deadly crash that she recorded live on Instagram.
• A 10th person has died after being discovered in the back of a sweltering tractor-trailer in a Texas Walmart parking lot, authorities said this morning.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Jared Kushner – Donald Trump’s son-and-law and an inner-circle adviser in the White House – says in a statement release this morning last June’s meeting with a Russian lawyer was “a waste of time.” He is scheduled to hold a closed-door meeting with the Senate Intelligence Committee today.
• If it seems bulldozers and cranes outnumber buildings in downtown Fresno ... well, it only seems that way. Columnist Marek Warszawski asks: Will the debris eventually clear to reveal a reborn community, or is downtown’s sleepiness too baked-in to change?
• A man trying to evade Fresno police was shot early Sunday when he crashed into a gate at Simonian Farms then backed into two patrol vehicles, injuring one officer.
Watch This Video
• Police are calling the man who thwarted a would-be robber at Fresno Starbucks “a courageous hero.” The suspect had a knife. And the video is, well, see for yourself.
Good Stuff to Know
• Do you have cans of Bush’s Best beans in the cupboard? Give them a look-see. The company says some cans are defective.
• What if Raiders quarterback and Bulldog-for-Life Derek Carr had followed the siren call of his first love: basketball?
• One of our readers’ favorite contributors, Jill Simonian – a self-described Fresno gal in La-La-Land – admits to feeling a powerful pull to return home.
• A fond farewell to Stubbs, the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska. He was, by all accounts, a prince of a cat.
• Who’s on the concert stage at the Big Fresno Fair this fall? How about Ice Cube and the Goo Goo Dolls, for starters? Here are the details.
• Ah, c’mon, Michael Phelps, you didn’t really race a shark, did you?
• A Christian theme park says its taking back the rainbow symbol from the LGBTQ community. As if it needed a rescue.