It’s Tuesday, July 18, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• An extension of California’s ambitious program to reduce greenhouse gases and fight climate change cleared the Democrat-dominated state Legislature on Monday. Gov. Brown is expected to sign it. Republicans say the program will jack up gas prices and utility bills.
• Madera County’s Board of Supervisors broke state law by secretly ordering the head of the county jail to cooperate with federal immigration authorities, a lawsuit filed by the ACLU says.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Gov. Brown: I want the Delta tunnels. Westlands Water District: Knock yourself out. Just don’t expect us to help pay for it.
• Fresno County authorities have reopened the Kings River for recreational use. Just. Be. Careful.
Watch This Video
• This is Jack. His job is to track down orca feces. Jack is helping people save whales. Good dog, Jack. Good dog.
Good Stuff to Know
• Once upon a time, Fresno Arts Council created a ArtHop logo that social media laughed at because it resembled an International House of Pancakes sign. Now you have a opportunity to redesign it.
• The actor who played Luke in “Gilmore Girls” played some music at the Fresno coffee shop that, last year, pretended to be Luke’s Cafe from the show.
• You can tip your Uber driver now. If, you know, that’s something you want to do.
• A woman said she lost her baby after a shooting at a party. Police say she was not pregnant. Oops.
• Here’s another body shot, millennials: A Harvard survey of young adults found a majority don’t support U.S. free enterprise.