It’s Monday, July 17, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• The “Rick and Morty” pop-up tour rolled through Fresno. The video above shows what it looked like.
• “Game of Thrones” is back. And there was much rejoicing. Here’s a review of the Season 7 opener (warning: spoilers abound).
• More than a few “GoT” fans found themselves bellowing to the Seven Gods when HBO’s streaming service crashed during the premiere.
• The news broke late last week, and it was chilling: A Fresno County sheriff’s detective whose gun fired accidentally and a fatally wounded a sergeant last October now faces a charge of involuntary manslaughter.
• About 20 million lab-raised mosquitoes are being released intentionally in the Fresno area. These critters become sterile when they mate. The goal: Cut down on the number of skeeters carrying the Zika virus. See? It’s a good thing.
Watch This Video
• A CHP helicopter crew plucks an injured climber off a Northern California mountain.
Good Stuff to Know
• Would Caitlyn Jenner get your vote for U.S. senator from California?
• In a column for our Valley Voices, Fresno City Councilman Garry Bredefeld tells us why it was a smart idea to ban shops that would sell recreational marijuana in the city.
• The new Doctor is in. And the Time Lord is female. Wonder Whoman!
• Take a tour of the recently sold home of Fresno State’s former football coach, Tim DeRuyter. It sold for more than $1 million.
• This is so great: A woman set an age-group world record for the 100-meter dash. She’s 101.
• Shopping local: Fresno State says these four young men from the Valley plan to play football for the Bulldogs.
• This just in: Elon Musk, an evangelist for self-driving cars and other tech wonders, says artificial intelligence poses a "fundamental risk to the existence of human civilization." Hide the children.
• Welcome to Yoro, Honduras, where villagers say it rains fish. Every year. “We see it as a blessing from God.”