Good morning! It’s Thursday, May 18, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“There's two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump.”– Kevin McCarthy, Bakersfield Republican and House leader, in a meeting last year with fellow top GOPs. A McCarthy spokesman Wednesday called it “a failed attempt at humor.” (Rep. Dana Rohrabacher has long espoused better relations with Moscow.)
What You Need to Know
• Roger Ailes, former CEO of Fox News, has died. He was 77.
• Black Hole Sun: A sad farewell to grunge pioneer Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave), dead at 52.
• Looks like police are cracking down on a (ahem) spa that sits kitty-corner from Fresno High School. Neighbors said men were seen filing through the place. Ugh.
• “I felt I had been betrayed,” police Chief Jerry Dyer testified Wednesday in the drug-trafficking trial of his former No. 2 man, Keith Foster.
• Wanna own a house in California? Come to the Valley, where they’re (relatively) inexpensive (or, if you must, lay down half a million for a cardboard box in Los Altos).
• Remember that fooforah over gunky-colored tap water in northeast Fresno homes? You kind of knew it would lead to a lawsuit. And here it is.
What You Want to Know
• KMJ’s Ray Appleton has a thing for guitars. He’s got a bunch of ’em, including a bass once owned by the Rolling Stones’ Bill Wyman.
• This portly pickle - a spicy concoction from the marketing-mad minds of the Fresno Grizzlies - has attracted national-level love.
• Even after being stabbed in the skull, this Fresno police officer says he loves his job. Sah-lute!
What You Don’t Want to Know
• Who gets our vote for president in 2020? In light of current events the cast of characters is very much in the air, but in this poll Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson earns five-point lead over Donald Trump. The surreal is real.