Thank the stars it’s Friday, May 12, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“Look, he's a showboat, he's a grandstander, the FBI has been in turmoil. You know that, I know that. Everybody knows that.”– President Trump, on fired FBI Director James Comey, during an interview with NBC’s Lester Holt.
“The majority, the vast majority of FBI employees, enjoyed a deep and positive connection to Director Comey.” – Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe in testimony to Senate committee.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
What You Need to Know
• One more: James Comey told associates he was summoned to the White House in January for dinner with the president, who asked for the FBI director’s loyalty. Comey declined, but told Trump he always would be honest with him. Trump disagrees with this account.
• The Fresno City Council last night approved posting “In God We Trust” prominently in the council chamber. The vote was unanimous.
• A no-kill shelter near Lemoore is closing. Dogs and cats need a new home. Spread the word.
• Free speech, campus politics and the debate over abortion collided at Fresno State, colored by streaks of chalk on a sidewalk.
• What’s the best mad-scientist flavor for an Oreo? Nabisco and the Fresno Grizzlies’ marketing guru want your ideas. Go!
• Rising poet Mai Der Vang of Fresno got well-deserved love from New Yorker magazine.
• The Marines are looking for (more than) a few good women.
• Former L.A. County sheriff Lee Baca will be sentenced today over obstructing an investigation into abuses at his jails. He hopes for probation. Don't count on it.
What You Want to Know
• It looks like beer is coming back to Bulldog Stadium and Save Mart Center. Because fans apparently can’t get sufficiently lubricated in the parking lot.
• Comic book pub crawl! Foam party! These and more in our roundup of intriguing options for weekend frivolity.
• Give the kids a break, all you grownup types in charge of education, and start school later in the day. Seven o’clock is too early for anyone, much less an adolescent.
• Rory Appleton conducted a hunt for grassroots gatherings of film series around town. Here’s what he found.
• Is "13 Reasons Why" too graphic and violent? Netflix has added warnings in front of a few episodes of the popular teen drama.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• A bear snuffling for treats in a car became stuck inside, so it did what any one of us would do. HONK.
• A couple eloped in a tuxedo and gown ... all the way to Mount Everest.