Cheerful and enthusiastic greetings! It’s Tuesday, May 2, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“It was a scary story and before I go into it, I want you to know it has a happy ending,”– Jimmy Kimmel in an emotional opening monologue on this “Live” show in which he tells his audience about about his newborn son’s open-heart surgery.
What You Need to Know
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Travel alert: Uber won't allow its drivers to take folks to or from Fresno Yosemite airport. Uber-weird, and yet so Fresno.
• The rains were relentless. The Sierra snowpack is prodigious. And now here comes the heat (it could hit 90 in Fresno today). And the melting. And big-time run-off. Be careful out there. Yosemite National Park warned visitors yesterday:
• OK, to recap from Team Trump: "Why could (the Civil War) not have been worked out?" The president says he would be "honored" to meet with North Korea dictator Kim Jong Un and calls him a “smart cookie.” And the U.S. missile strike on Syria was "after-dinner entertainment." Right. Got it.
• Don't deliver medical pot with a drone. Cops can't toke (mostly). But card-carriers can buy A LOT of weed. Those are some of the proposed rules for California's medical marijuana industry. Rory Appleton tells all.
• There’s a legal tussle over California school districts that require a Social Security number or other personal ID when a child enrolls. Advocates say the practice is harmful to undocumented families.
What You Want to Know
• Her first name isn’t “baby,” it’s Janet. Miss Jackson if you’re nasty. Yeah. Couldn’t pass that up. She’s coming to Save Mart Center in September.
• Columnist Marek Warszawski has five reasons why Fresno State’s football team will be better this year than in 2016 ... when the team went 1-11. How much better? “Not enough to be bowl eligible, but enough to no longer be a national punchline.”
• The high season for farmers markets is right around the corner. Robert Rodriguez has a list of venues plus five shopping tips before you head out to fondle heirloom tomatoes.
• For those into these kind of things, here are fashion images from last night’s Met Gala, including Rihanna as a red hedge and Katy Perry as the world’s snazziest weather satellite.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• This was ruled an offensive license plate. No, seriously.