Salutations! It’s Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2017 and here’s the Morning Scoop, your quick peruse of the news. Subscribe to get the Scoop in your inbox.
“It was a no-brainer. This place is home. You’ve got to come back.” – J.D Williams, one of three former Fresno State football players who now are assistant coaches under Jeff Tedford (an ex-Bulldog quarterback).
What You Need to Know
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• A federal appeals court based in San Francisco will hear arguments today on whether to restore President Trump’s immigration travel ban. A lower court judge put it on hold. For those keeping score, the three members of the 9th Circuit court were appointed by Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush and Barack Obama.
• Organizers of the Women's March events that attracted hundreds of thousands across the U.S. (and thousands in the Valley) want to raise the ante: a one-day general strike by women. Stay tuned.
• Fresno police dealt with three separate (and, they say, unrelated) shootings within three hours Monday afternoon. Two men were injured, one critically.
• President Trump faces formidable obstacles if he tries to carry out a threat to withhold federal funds from California or its cities if they declare themselves sanctuaries for immigrants.
• The U.S. Senate was poised today to confirm Betsy DeVos, the nominee for U.S. education secretary, despite a last-gasp effort by Democrats to sway at least one Republican colleague.
What You Want to Know
• We’ve known for weeks Atlanta Falcons coach Kyle Shanahan was the next 49ers’ coach. But the Niners had to wait until the Falcons laid a historically huge egg in the Super Bowl before they would make it official.
• Head-turning detail from our writeup of a Visalia house fire: "No one was home. However, a tortoise was found injured in the garage. It was treated for smoke inhalation."
• Rory Appleton picks the best (wow, 84 Lumber) and worst (ugh, Turbo Tax) Super Bowl commercials.
What You Wish You Didn’t Know
• Kanye and Donald: Bros no more, based Mr. West's recent purge of his Twitter feed.
• Nielsen ratings wannabe from hell: Television maker Vizio allegedly tracked owners' viewing proclivities, then sold the information.