Good morning! It’s Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017 and here’s the Morning Scoop. Subscribe to get the Scoop in your inbox because you want to be informed but not too informed.
“We call them nighttime nibblers. They’re finding themselves all of a sudden in the kitchen and all of the good habits they’ve kind of built up so far go out the door.” – Lisa Herzig, director of Fresno State’s Dietetics and Food Administration Program. Here are some great ideas for reducing late-night snacking.
What You Need to Know
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
• Clovis Unified shut down a Buchanan High production of the Jean-Paul Sartre play "No Exit." Students say it was canceled because a main character is gay. A school district spokeswoman said it’s more complicated than that. The issue ignited a lively give-and-take in our story's comments and on Facebook.
• Meanwhile, theater critic Donald Munro, who knows “No Exit” well, is slack-jawed over Clovis Unified’s decision.
• Former Fresno State football head coach Tim DeRuyter reportedly has a new job: Defensive coordinator for Cal. How does that affect the $3.1 million Fresno State still owes him?
• The Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement is a big deal for central San Joaquin Valley farmers. Many are not pleased President Trump is pulling out of it.
• Once again, Donald Trump dropped the falsehood that he lost the popular vote because of millions of illegal ballots. This time it was during a meeting with congressional leaders. (Gentle reminder: A lot of Americans believe him.)
• The Academy Award nominations were announced this morning, and “La La Land,” that brightly colored love letter to musicals and the Southland, bagged a record-tying 14 nods.
What You Want to Know
• Here’s why we can’t win anything on Lotto Scratchers: This Clovis guy is hogging the karma. Two big wins in three years, the most recent a cool million bucks.
• One motorcyclist + one alleged drunken driver + one extended middle finger + one helmet cam = holy cats THIS VIDEO.
• Is that Shake ‘n’ Steak on Kings Canyon Road open yet? No?? WHY? Take a breath, folks, and read this.
• Bye, bye Broncos: Clovis North football coach Casey Quinn resigns after just one season in the job.
What You Wish You Didn’t Know
• The zombie apocalypse is so 2016. Nothing can prepare you for the invasion of the chatty viruses!
• We reach into our Crazy Florida jar again: Snake trackers from India are the latest weapon in the state's war on pythons.
• Let’s wrap it up with a love story. A 70-year-old man says he robbed a bank because he’s tired of living with his wife and jail sounded more inviting. Aww. How sweet.