District officials at Clovis Unified say a suspect has been identified in connection with threats made to five students on social media that caused a lockdown at Clovis North High on Tuesday.
Kelly Avants, spokeswoman for Clovis Unified, said Tuesday the unnamed suspect is a student. She added law enforcement is “executing a search warrant related to the incident today” and that classes were expected to continue as normal Wednesday.
She said charges were filed against an individual responsible for some graffiti found on campus Friday, but it’s unknown whether that person was a suspect in Tuesday’s school threats.
Students on Tuesday were held in their first-period classroom while Fresno police and Clovis Unified School District police investigated the threat, according to a school district news release.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The release said five students received direct social media messages “threatening harm to them if they came to school.”
Earlier in the day, the district said investigators had “several promising leads,” and the lockdown was lifted “using standardized threat assessment measures.”
“We recognize that parents have questions about how such determinations are made,” Shapiro added.
“Please be assured that decisions about the safety of our students are made in extremely close collaboration with experts in school and community safety, and that we have involved multiple agencies in making the decision to continue classes today. This decision was made only when we were confidant that the security of our campus could be assured.”