All of the Fresno Pacific swimmers who were hospitalized after an accident involving chlorine have been medically cleared and released, according to a follow-up statement Wednesday from the university.
Thirteen swimmers were hospitalized Tuesday afternoon after chlorine was “accidentally” released into the pool while they were working out, according to the school.
The swimmers were taken to five different hospitals for chlorine inhalation. One person had minor chemical burns on their legs. All the injuries were described as minor, said Wayne Steffen, a university spokesman. Two swimmers refused further treatment.
The school said all of the swimmers were released from hospitals by 8 p.m. Tuesday.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
The chlorine release occurred about 1:40 p.m. Tuesday and was caused by a malfunctioning automatic chlorination system. University officials on Wednesday said the pool will remain closed, pending an investigation by the school and Fresno County Health Department.