News briefs


Pedestrian killed in hit-run south of Selma

A pedestrian was killed when he was struck by a vehicle south of Selma on Friday morning, the California Highway Patrol reported.

The hit-and-run accident happened at Van Horn Avenue and Golden State Boulevard. The victim had not been identified as of Friday afternoon, and authorities still were looking for the driver of the vehicle, which was believed to be a Ford pickup or sport utility vehicle.

Man killed in single-car accident is identified

The Fresno County Coroner's Office identified Friday the man who died Thursday in a car crash in northwest Clovis.

Vern Mascorro, 37, died as his car careened off the road and onto a bicycle trail.

The wreck happened on Willow Avenue north of Nees Avenue. Witnesses said the driver had bent sideways like he was reaching for something, and the car began drifting toward the curb while traveling about 50 mph. The driver never corrected his steering, and the car hit the curb and a street light.

The car carried the street light with it and smacked into the tunnel connecting the trail with the other side of the street.

Three men shot in Chowchilla identified

Chowchilla police have released the names of three people who were found shot about 11:45 p.m. Tuesday near the 1200 block of Kings Avenue.

They are Robert Littleton, 20, Jason Williams, 21, and Jason Farmer, 26, all of Chowchilla. Only Littleton was treated in a hospital, officers said. The others were released after treatment.


Family escapes blaze that broke out in duplex

Fire broke out early Friday in a duplex on the 9000 block of South McCall Avenue, briefly trapping a family and young child, Fresno County firefighters reported.

The family escaped, but first reports had firefighters believing a girl remained inside. They eventually determined all had escaped.

Fire is attacked quickly at Fresno Fairgrounds

A quick response by the Fresno Fire Department minimized damage from a fire in the grandstand at the Fresno Fairgrounds on Friday night, officials said.

The department responded within three minutes of receiving a call at 7:58 p.m., Fire Chief Randy Bruegman said. The responding engine was on another call in the area.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to the grandstand on South Chance Avenue, he said. The cause is under investigation.