News Briefs


Man, 22, shot in Visalia

Visalia police are investigating a shooting Monday that hospitalized a 22-year-old man.

The victim was shot twice around 4:30 p.m. in the parking lot of an apartment complex at Douglas Avenue and Enos Street in northern Visalia.

The victim was taken to Kaweah Delta Medical Center and was listed in stable condition, Visalia police Sgt. David Jarrett said.

Police had "a few people detained" in connection with the shooting, Jarrett said.

Two hurt in Tulare County

Tulare County sheriff's deputies reported Monday two assaults with deadly weapons on opposite sides of the county Sunday.

In the first case, a victim identified as Andres Carrillo, 22, of Porterville told deputies he had been stabbed by several attackers at a party on the 23000 block of Avenue 208, near Lindsay, about 2:30 a.m.

Carrillo was listed in stable condition. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call detective Cesar Fernandez at (800) 808-0488.

About 5:25 p.m., the second victim, identified as Joe Barrerra, was shot at a home in the Traver area. Barrerra was taken to a Fresno hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

The detective on the case can be reached at (559) 733-6218.

18-month-old boy drowns in Fig Garden backyard

An 18-month-old boy fell into a pool and drowned Monday night in the backyard of a Fig Garden home, Fresno police said.The boy was taken out of the pool but could not be resuscitated, Fresno police Lt. Mike Doyle said.Family members found the child in the pool about 7:45 p.m., Doyle said.He was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead, Doyle said.“It was a horrible accident,” Doyle said


Three night fires under investigation off Hwy. 41

Fresno city firefighters extinguished three fires Monday night along Highway 41.The cause of the fires, which began about 8:13 p.m., was under investigation. The fires occurred near the northbound lanes of Highway 41 between Van Ness and Tulare avenues. No injuries were reported.


Abdullah retrial delayed

A judge on Monday delayed by one month the retrial for Ramadan Abdullah after defense attorneys said they needed more time to prepare a motion to ask to move the trial out of the county.

Abdullah's new trial is scheduled to begin on Sept. 29 in Fresno County Superior Court instead of Aug. 25, Judge Ralph Nunez ordered.

Abdullah, 26, is a schizophrenic man who defense attorneys admit shot and killed sheriff's deputy Erik Telen in 2001.

But Abdullah has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. If convicted of first-degree murder and found to be sane, he faces the death penalty.

Man will stand trial in deadly foothills shooting

A man who police say lured a man to the foothills and then shot him and stole his vehicle was ordered Monday to stand trial in Fresno County Superior Court.

Kenneth Wilson, 30, was arrested in April close to the Big Sandy Rancheria near Auberry after a 28-hour manhunt. He has pleaded not guilty to one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping a child, two counts of robbery and one count of carjacking.

Wilson is accused of fatally shooting Julian "Julio" Barajas, 41, on Feb. 19. Police say Wilson told Barajas that he was interested in buying his Chevrolet Blazer and asked him to drive it to Auberry. But when Barajas showed up, Wilson allegedly shot and killed him, and then drove off with his vehicle.

Man sentenced to prison in money-laundering case

Abdulla Kasem Ahmed Muthana, 44, who laundered money through minimarts he owned in Corcoran and Tulare, was sentenced Monday to 21/2 years in federal prison by U.S. District Judge Oliver W. Wanger.

In November 2007, Muthana pleaded guilty to laundering approximately $350,000. As part of the laundering activity, Muthana accepted scores of checks at his minimarts that he thought were proceeds of an unemployment benefits fraud scheme.

As part of the scheme, he collected a transaction fee between $50 per check or 12% of the amount laundered, and remitted the remaining proceeds back to the person in cash. During the execution of search and seizure warrants in February 2007, approximately $220,306 was seized in cash and from the defendant's bank accounts.

As part of Muthana's sentence, Wanger ordered that amount -- the proceeds of the illegal activity -- to be forfeited.