Clovis North High's Vince Rodriguez and Clovis West's Nikko Reyes repeated as National High School Coaches Association wrestling champions during grade-level tournaments last weekend in Virginia Beach.
Rodriguez added the Senior Division 125-pound title to the 119-pound crown he won as a junior following a 5-4 win over New York's Chris Perez in the final. Rodriguez went 6-0 in the 55-wrestler bracket.
Reyes won the 171-pound title in the Junior Division, pinning Californian Robert Marchese in the final in 1:56. Reyes, a 160-pound champ as a sophomore, was 6-0 in a 45-wrestler bracket.
Other locals who earned All-America status:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
– Clovis East senior Connor Larson went 6-2 at 119, edging Michigan's Esteban Gonzales 2-1 for seventh.
– Clovis East junior Patrick Phaysamone went 7-2 at 130, beating New Jersey's Brad Royal 11-4 for seventh.
– Clovis East sophomore Kyle Perrault went 6-3 at 140, losing by fall to New York's Nicky Hall for sixth.
– Lemoore sophomore Jonathan Roa went 2-3 at 285, losing 7-4 to Vermont's Larry Peters for eighth.
– Clovis East freshman Nickolas Callender went 3-2 at 152, beating Eddie McGrail of North Carolina 7-1 for seventh.
Seniors competing included Clovis North's Chris Calcagno (2-2 at 130), Porterville's Shane Yacuta (5-2 at 140), Clovis North's Devin Poindexter (3-2 at 145), Kingsburg's Anthony Tirado (0-2 at 160) and Lemoore's Steven Wood (0-2 at 285). Also wrestling were Clovis East junior Gannon Del Fierro (1-2 at 189), and Lemoore sophomores Sean Williams (1-2 at 112), Matt Holmes (2-2 at 130), Jacob Hill (1-2 at 140), Angel Robles (0-2 at 140) and Nathanial Lopez (2-2 at 171).