TOP 10 TEAMS
1. Clovis West (15-5) Next: vs. Clovis, today
2. Centennial (19-5) Next: vs. Frontier, today
3. Bakersfield (13-4) Next: vs. Liberty, today
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
4. Liberty-Bakersfield (13-5) Next: at Bakersfield, today
5. Central Valley Christian (18-2) Next: at Dinuba, today
6. Clovis (13-9) Next: at Clovis West, today
7. Buchanan (11-11) Next: at Clovis North, today
8. Garces (20-9) Next: at East Bakersfield, today
9. Clovis East (21-9) Next: vs. Central, today
10. Frontier (14-13) Next: at Centennial, today
D-I 1. Clovis West; 2. Centennial; 3. Bakersfield
D-II 1. Tehachapi (21-6); 2. Edison (19-5); 3. El Diamante (18-4)
D-III 1. Independence (11-9); 2. Madera So. (23-7); 3. West (19-6-1)
D-IV 1. CVC; 2. Bakersfield Christian (27-1); 3. Chowchilla. (25-3)
D-V 1. Kings Christian (21-4); Fresno Christian (17-9-1); Laton (6-5)
A week ago in this space, the question was asked if there was anyone in Division IV that could match Bakersfield Christian's firepower. Well, we didn't realize it then, but there is a team that has matched the Eagles' firepower this season: defending D-IV champion Central Valley Christian, which beat Bakersfield Christian 25-20, 25-14, 25-20 on Sept. 18. Because of a misprint on the Central Section website, The Bee erroneously listed CVC as a D-III team through its first five editions of rankings. The Cavaliers were initially placed in D-III when section realignment was announced in January, but they successfully appealed back down to D-IV.
Centennial emerged as the clear-cut favorite in Kern County after beating Bakersfield (25-15, 22-25, 25-17, 22-25, 15-11) and Liberty (23-25, 25-20, 25-10, 25-18) last week.
The biggest mover of the week is Clovis, which beat Buchanan and Clovis North to climb three spots in the rankings. Stockdale, which lost to Frontier and Bakersfield, drops out.