Fireworks started a trash can fire that spread to a northeast Fresno home just after midnight Monday, authorities said.
The Fresno and Clovis fire departments responded to the blaze on the 7300 block of North Recreation Avenue. Fresno fire Battalion Chief Chuck Tobias said the fireworks were not properly extinguished before being thrown out and ignited material in the trash can.
The flames melted the garbage can and spread to the garage and attic around 12:16 a.m. The blaze caused $20,000 in damage.
Six Clovis firefighters and 11 Fresno firefighters put out the fire in a few minutes. No one was injured.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.