Local

Valley drivers should use ‘extra care’ as more rain, snow to come, NWS advises

The National Weather Service issued out a weather advisory on December 1, 2018.
The National Weather Service issued out a weather advisory on December 1, 2018. NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE

National Weather Service forecasters Saturday warned drivers to be extra careful during the coming days, as rains accompanied by fog are expected to continue in Fresno and the Valley, plus more snow in the mountain regions.

Drivers heading toward Southern California should use particular care, as light snow is expected Sunday morning on the Grapevine, according to Modesto Vasquez, meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Hanford.

In the past couple of days, Fresno has received 1.12 inches of rain, while the Sierras have received up to 46 inches of snow.

Since Oct. 1, precipitation in the region has been measured to 1.77 inches compared to 1.70 inches same time last year according to Daniel Harty, Meteorologist for the National Weather Service.

Rain is expected to continue until 4 p.m. Saturday in Fresno, with a 40 percent chance to return before 10 p.m. The afternoon will be mostly cloudy near 50 degrees. Temperatures are expected drop to around 38 degrees at night. Sunday will be partly sunny with a high of 52 degrees.

Sierra locations north of Kings Canyon can expect to receive snow starting at elevations around 4,000 feet, with 3 to 6 inches accumulating at higher elevations, according to the National Weather Service.

Gusty winds around 45 to 50 mph are expected to pass through and below mountain passes in Kern County, making it difficult for drivers.

Fog is expected Monday morning in the Valley, followed by a storm around the middle of next week.

Slight showers await Tuesday early during the day and ending with a 50 percent chance of rain at night. On Wednesday, rain is anticipated with a 70 percent chance of precipitation. Ending on Thursday with a 30 percent possibility of rain.

Marilyn Castaneda: 559-441-6087, @MarilynCast98
  Comments