A three-alarm fire at a Visalia senior care center Sunday forced the evacuation of 10 people.
Battalion Chief Danny Wristen said no one was injured in the fire at The Meadows senior living complex off Tulare Avenue between Chinowth and Demaree streets. The fire, which was caused by an electrical problem, caused about $250,000 worth of damage to a building estimated to be worth $500,000, Wristen said.
Wristen said the first firefighters arrived just before noon to find police already evacuating people. There was heavy fire in the attic space over several of the 10 apartments in the building.
All 10 apartments sustained some damage, with several suffering severe smoke and water damage. Fire personnel protected personal property inside the apartments with large salvage covers, Wristen said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Eight engines, two ladder trucks, four chief officers and one air support unit responded with a total of 39 firefighters. The Tulare County Fire Department, Tulare City Fire Department and Farmersville Fire Department provided mutual aid.