Local

Apartment stove fire causes $40,000 in damage

One man is displaced after a fire damaged his apartment Tuesday night in east-central Fresno.

The fire started shortly after 8 p.m. in a single-story apartment on Fountain Way near Shields Avenue and Highway 168 because of an unattended stove, Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Lawrence French said.

The man was in a hallway when the fire started. He briefly attempted to extinguish the fire, but then he got out of the apartment, French said.

A second alarm was called because the fire had the potential to spread to nearby apartments, but firefighters were able to contain the fire before it could spread, French said.

The fire caused about $40,000 worth of damage, French said.

The man is being assisted by the Red Cross.

  Comments