Sikhs celebrate New Year
The community is invited to join as Sikhs celebrate Vaisakhi, the beginning of the Sikh New Year, with two local events.
• Sikhs will celebrate in Caruthers with a focus on children from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 18, at 2025 W. Clemenceau Ave.
• The 21st annual Selma Sikh Day Parade, will be held at 9:30 a.m. Sunday, April 19. It starts at theSikh Temple
at 2211 S. Highland Ave. and returns to the temple after going through the city of Selma.
The Selma Nagar Kirtan parade has grown in size and the number of participants. Organizers expect attendance to reach close to 8,000. Vegetarian foods will also be available at no cost.
Details: (559) 906-7403.
Jail Chaplain volunteers honored
The Jail Chaplain Volunteer Luncheon will be held noon-2 p.m. Saturday, April 18, at Pardini’s, 2257 W. Shaw Ave. Reverend H. Spees is the keynote speaker.
More than 200 volunteers of all faiths provide ministry to the inmates.
Armenian Genocide Commemoration events
• A Requiem service will be held 5 p.m. Thursday, April 23, at Ararat Cemetery, 1925 W. Belmont Ave.
• A monument dedicated to the victims and survivors of the Armenian Genocide will be unveiled at Fresno State at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 23. The program will be held in the Maple Mall, just south of the Satellite Student Union. The monument was designed by local architect Paul Halajian and will embody symbols of cultural meaning to the Armenian people.
• A flag-raising ceremony at Fresno City Hall will be held 9 a.m. Friday, April 24.
• The honoring of the Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Nation is 7 p.m. Friday, April 24, at St. Paul Armenian Apostolic Church, 3767 N. First St. Bruce Janigian, Esquire of the American University of Armenia, will be the speaker. The Mazmanian family will provide the musical program.
The Secret Church broadcast
New Hope Community Church will host a simulcast with The Secret Church and David Platt titled “Christ, Culture, and a Call to Action” from 3-10 p.m. Friday, April 24.
The broadcast will be led by Platt from The Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, Alabama, and focus on exploring biblical foundations for answers to questions regarding the changing Christian face.
The church is at 4620 E. Nees Ave. in Clovis. Tickets cost $10. Details: (559) 297-7362, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gospel concert planned
Calvary Chapel Visalia will hold a cowboy gospel concert featuring award-winning artists R.W. Hampton and Belinda Gail at 7 p.m. Saturday, April 25. The event is free and all ages are welcome.
The church is at 11720 Ave. 264 in Visalia. Details: (559) 687-0020.
Relief Sale and Auction raises $175,000
The West Coast Mennonite Relief Sale and Auction was held at Fresno Pacific University April 10-11 and raised $175,000 for West Coast Mennonite Central Committee. Seventeen food booths representing six different cultures, over 500 quilts, 4,000 verenika, 350 dozen zwieback and many other food and auction items were a part of this year’s sale.
The MCC is an international organization that provides relief, development and peace in the name of Christ. For more information, including volunteering, details: (559) 638-6911, email@example.com.
Elysium Calling in Concert
Elysium Calling will perform 4 p.m. Saturday, April 25, at First Congregational Church of Fresno. The group consists of Garth D. Brooks on acoustic guitar and Kenneth Hooper on Native American flute, and will be joined by percussionist Rick Dunlap. Proceeds from the concert will benefit the organ fund at the church.
Tickets cost $10. Details: (559) 577-2256, Franks@attitude.com.
GriefShare, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, Clovis Evangelical Free Church, 2377 Armstrong Ave., Clovis, 292-3344.
DivorceCare Support Group, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 15, Clovis Hills Community Church, 10590 N. Willow Ave., Clovis, 297-2600.
GriefShare — Care Connections, 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, April 15, The Bridge Evangelical Church, 3438 E. Ashlan Ave., 226-4100.