After a powerhouse 2015-16 season that contains the still-to-come Fresno premiere of “The Phantom of the Opera” in October, it’s probably no surprise to learn that the 2016-17 Fresno Lexus Broadway in Fresno Subscription Series is a little less spectacular.
Here’s the lineup of five shows, which was announced Monday:
▪ “Once” (Nov. 15-16): The adaptation of the popular film won the best musical Tony Award for 2012.
▪ “ELF the Musical” (Dec. 14-15): The musical ran on Broadway in the Christmas seasons of 2010-11 and 2012-13.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ “Dirty Dancing: The Classic Story On Stage” (Feb. 21-22, 2017): A big hit on London’s West End, it never made it to Broadway.
▪ “The Illusionists: Live from Broadway” (April 26-27, 2017): This magic show finished up a Broadway run in January.
▪ “Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella” (May 15-16, 2017): A contemporary take on the classic tale, it played on Broadway for nearly two years, closing in January 2015.
There are no blockbusters in the bunch. (Yes, we’re still waiting patiently for “The Lion King.”) After back-to-back seasons that brought us “Jersey Boys,” “The Book of Mormon” and now “Phantom,” it was easy to get spoiled.
On the plus side, there are no age-old revivals or repeats. It’ll be fun to see “Once,” a smaller-scale show that doesn’t rely on a splashy set or special effects. “ELF” will have great timing, arriving in town in the midst of prime Christmas season. (It’s not as if we’ll have it in November.) And “Dirty Dancing” is a well-known title that will likely draw some new theatergoers.
Details: Current season ticket holders can begin to renew their season subscription in the beginning of April. New season ticket orders will begin in May. Packages start at $175. Single ticket sales will begin at a later date. www.broadwayinfresno.com.