North Fresno art galleries might get their own ArtHop later in the month, but because of the holiday calendar, at least a couple are crashing downtown's party. We'll start out this month's picks with two notable ArtHop occasions that are taking place farther north than usual:
Pat Hunter and Janice Stevens are celebrating 30 years in business at Gallery II, 1490 W. Shaw Ave. Hunter and Stevens are the authors of two volumes of "Fresno's Architectural Past," and next spring will publish "Remembering the California Missions." A retrospective on display through Dec. 25 will showcase original watercolors of historical buildings and a variety of landscapes, seascapes and florals.
(Hunter is doing double ArtHop duty: Her work is also featured at the new Downtown Association location, detailed below.)
A reception will be held 4-8 p.m. today. Details: (559) 222-4443.
* Corky Normart and Larry Hill are gearing up for the first ArtHop at their new Scene Gallery in the Park Place Center at Palm and Nees avenues. The ArtHop Christmas show features original art priced from $100 to $500. Normart's work is a mix of representational and abstract expressionist paintings in watercolors and acrylics. Hill paints abstract expressionist works in oils.
Up to this point in his career, Normart sold work out of his home studio but says "the landlord really wanted a gallery in the center and made us an offer we couldn't refuse." The gallery will include guest artists. This month's are Bill Bruce, Craig Easter and Andrew Ferrales.
Today's reception will run 5-9 p.m.
Other ArtHop picks 5-8 p.m. today include:
* The Downtown Association is celebrating its new location at 845 Fulton Mall with an ArtHop open house. Featured artist is Hunter. The event includes KFSR (FM 90.7) on location and food highlights from Joe's Steakhouse.
* Gallery 25, at 660 Van Ness Ave., features "Return to Innocence: Memories from Childhood," an installation by Carol Hartman that features artwork donated by local artists. The exhibition, which continues through Dec. 13, is a "silent auction" fundraiser for the gallery. The evening includes a children's dance performance at 7 p.m.
Details: (559) 264-4092, gallery25.org.
* Potters Studio, 905 R St., features bronze sculptures by Ed Marouk, clay and marble sculptures by Peter Radojkovich, sculpture by Amy Morgan and new pottery work by Randy Olsen. The show runs through Dec. 31. Details: (559) 266-5508.
* The Chris Sorensen Studio Gallery, 2223 S. Van Ness Ave., features "Canvas, Quilt & Stone." Works by John Sorensen, Kerby Smith, Lura Schwarz Smith and Buck Buckner will be on display through Dec. 30. Details: (559) 237-4934.
* At the K-Jewel Art Gallery, 1415 Fulton St., on display through Jan. 15 will be Christmas, winter and snow scenes from the "Pop" Laval Foundation Collection. Details: (559) 259-2418.
* Autumn Sky Lencioni presents "Dead Christmas Trees," a photographic exhibition through Jan. 3, at Spectrum Art Gallery, 608 E. Olive Ave.
The artist writes: "The series is meant to challenge contemporary culture by presenting the aftermath of our consumption just as we are about to engage in yet another season of such (and to amuse those of use who have an off-beat sense of humor)." An artist's reception is 3-5 p.m. Saturday.
Details: (559) 226-0691, spectrumphoto gallery.org.