•Performers include The Clifton Brothers of MoFo Party Band and Motel Drive
• A Fresno beard and mustache competition is planned for October
• The dos and don’ts of grooming beards and mustaches
Members of the Fresno Beard and Moustache Club get serious about facial hair — like competition serious.
The group of bearded and mustachioed men (and those who love them) hosts a Music For Moustaches & Bands For Beards benefit 7 p.m. March 21 at the Tioga-Sequioa Beer Garden that includes performances from PhiloPhobia, It’ll Grow Back, The Clifton Brothers of MoFo Party Band and Motel Drive. The event will help the group host the city’s inaugural Beard and Mustache competition, scheduled for October.
If you’d like to prepare, here are a few growing and grooming tips from senior member Dustin Reese.
• Invest in a boar-hair brush.
• Style from the inside, or middle, to the outside.
• Condition, brush, condition.
• Use ear wax only as a last resort.
• Trim the middle of the ’stache. That’s what wax is for.
• Envy others. Embrace what you have.
While there are dozens of ways to style a beard or mustache (from traditional to out-and-out wild), concentrate on what you like best, Reese says.
“Be own your style.”
And don’t forget, it’s OK to use a straw or spoon. It’ll keep things clean.
That brings up eating.
Here’s what to avoid, lest you end up with food in your hair: Ice cream cones, ribs, honey, ’smores and Sloppy Joes.