Arnold Schwarzenegger is back for another turn as the Terminator. There’s also a big release for “Star Wars” fans for the Nov. 10 DVD releases.
“Terminator Genisys,” Grade ☆☆☆1/2: Another attempt is made to stop Sarah Connor. The Terminator – as promised – is back. It is a fun, exciting thrill ride –one of the best action movies of the year.
All you have to do is forget trying to decipher the time-traveling elements because, as always, the very familiar sci-fi gimmick always creates more questions than answers.
“Tangerine,” Grade ☆☆☆: Sean Baker’s film finds pure energy in its frantic pacing and performances. Events unfold with blasts of energy on a warm Christmas Eve in Hollywood.
Kitana Kiki Rodriguez plays Sin-Dee, a complicated person dealing with her recent release from jail, a cheating boyfriend and a world that can be brutally evil toward transgenders. She handles each with an unfaltering passion that makes her the emotional equivalent of the Tasmanian Devil.
It’s Baker’s direction and the deck-the-halls-to-the-wall performance by Rodriguez that turn the film into a controlled panic that occasionally finds peace in a manic world.
“Star Wars” Grade
It’s hits stores a month before the opening of “The Force Awakens.”
Also new on DVD Nov. 10:
▪ “Better Call Saul: Season 1”: Bob Odenkirk stars in this prequel to ‘Breaking Bad.”
▪ “Trainwreck”: Amy Schumer plays a young woman who lives life at its fullest.
▪ “WKRP in Cincinnati: The Final Season”: Includes 22 episodes of the TV comedy about life at a radio station.
▪ “Mr. Holmes”: The great detective is haunted by an unsolved case from 50 years ago.
▪ “Enchanted Kingdom”: Idris Elba narrates this film that looks at wildlife in Africa.
▪ “Manimal: The Complete Series”: Short-lived series about a man who can turn himself into any animal.
▪ “Bound to Vengeance”: Woman tries to free captives of depraved killer.
▪ “Henry & Anne: The Lovers Who Changed History”: Historian Dr. Suzannah Lipscomb looks at the love affair.
▪ “The Guilty”: Detective Maggie Brand (Tamsin Greig) investigates the disappearance of a 5-year-old girl.
▪ “Automan: The Complete Series”: Computer geek creates crime-fighting hologram. Includes 13 episodes.
▪ “Two Men in Town”: Jose Giovanni’s scathing look at the death penalty.
▪ “Rebus Collection”: Ken Stott stars as Detective Inspector John Rebus.
▪ “Pay the Ghost”: Nicolas Cage stars in this story of one man’s efforts to find his missing child.
▪ “Ronaldo”: Documentary that follows a year in the life of footballer Cristiano Ronaldo.
▪ “The Jewish Journey: America”: Look at what it means to be part of a tight-knit Jewish community.
▪ “Wild City”: Ex-cop becomes the target of a high-powered attorney and his thugs.
▪ “Super Sentai: Gosei Sentail Dairanger: The Complete Series”: The second installment of the Japanese series that inspired the Power Rangers.
▪ “Dinosaur Train: Dinosaurs Are Different”: Buddy learns how dinosaurs can be different.
▪ “Restless”: Hayley Atwell stars in this adaptation of the William Boyd novel.
▪ “Nathan for You: Seasons 1& 2”: Nathan Fielder’s series about an unorthodox small business consultant.