The Sept. 8 DVD releases include a timeless tale, story of heroism and a look at the beginnings of The Dark Knight.
“The Age of Adeline,” Grade ☆☆☆: Parts of “Age of Adaline” are magical: the fairy-tale-type narration, the idea that love is timeless, and the beautiful way San Francisco is presented. Each make it feel sweet and alluring.
Other parts aren’t quite as inviting. The main conflict of a woman who can’t age and hides it from the world comes across as a little selfish. And the central conflict of loved ones aging past her doesn’t become a dramatic element until more than halfway through the film.
Those are problems, but they don’t do the movie in. Blake Lively is so charming, and co-star Harrison Ford is so emotionally commanding, that the movie falls on the side of a touching love story and not a creepy science-fiction yarn.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
“Beyond the Mask,” Grade ☆☆1/2: Man looks for redemption by becoming a masked hero in per-Revolutionary War times. Andrew Cheney stars.
This action film set in the months leading up to the Revolutionary War has the same strong visual effects, story and action sequences of films with 10 times the budget.
The movie could have settled heavily into the faith-based elements that come with movies made by Christian filmmakers. Instead, it becomes more of a “Pride & Prejudice” love story as Reynolds begins to fall for the local beauty, Charlotte Holloway (Kara Kilmer).
“Gotham,” Grade ☆☆☆1/2: The story of Batman has been told repeatedly in film. This FOX series offers a fresh spin on the crimefighter’s tale by looking at life in Gotham City just after Bruce Wayne’s parents are murdered.
Ben McKenzie brings a fierce approach to playing Jim Gordon and Donal Logue is the perfect sidekick. But, it’s the performances by Robin Lord Taylor as the Penguin that steals the show.
Also new on DVD Tuesday, Sept. 8
▪ “Misery Loves Comedy”: Kevin Pollak interviews 60 successful comedians.
▪ “Supernatural: The Complete Tenth Season”: Journeys of the Winchester brothers continue.
▪ “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Mickey’s Monster Musical”: Visit the castle owned by Count Mickula.
▪ “Counting on Birds: Tales of Migration”: Includes five programs that look at the winged creatures.
▪ “The Great Shape Mystery”: Solve the mystery of shapes and fractions.
▪ “Scott & Bailey: Season Three”: Two female detectives face another round of crime solving.
▪ “Digimon Fusion Season 1 Volume 1”: Human boy must team with new Digimon or Digital Monster friends.
▪ “Barbie in Rick ‘n Royals”: Barbie plays a princess who trades places with a famous rock star.
▪ “Sesame Street: Play All Day With Elmo!”: Spend the afternoon playing all of Elmo’s favorite games.
▪ “The Editor”: No one argues with his final cut.
▪ “When Calls the Heart: Heart and Home”: Love story based on the works of Janette Oke.
▪ “The Goldbergs: The Complete Second Season”: It’s another year of looking back to the fads and flops of the ‘80s.
▪ “Homeland Season 4”: Carrie (Claire Danes) goes after one of the world’s most dangerous terrorists.
▪ “Haven: Season Five, Volume 1”: Syfy cable channel series based on the novella “The Colorado Kid” from Stephen King.
▪ “Blue Bloods: The Fifth Season”: Tom Selleck plays the head of a police family in New York.
▪ “Transformers Prime: Ultimate”: Animated adventures featuring the Autobots.
▪ “Crystal Lake Memories”: Behind-the-scenes look at the making of the horror franchise.
▪ “Gameplay”: Examination of how 1972 changed the game industry.
▪ “Chain of Command”: Military man looks to expose those responsible for his brother’s death.
▪ “DCI Banks: Season Three”: Chief Inspector Banks (Stephen Tompkinson) returns for three more crime stories.
▪ “Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Season 2”: A new enemy emerges during a time of rebuilding.
▪ “American Heist”: Brotherly love is put to the test. Hayden Christensen stars.
▪ “American Experience: Blackout”: Look at the 1977 blackout that left New York in the dark.
▪ “Nelson Mandela ... and More Inspiring Stories”: Collection of stories from the library of Scholastic Storybook Treasures.