It should be obvious by now that I’m a huge fan of the “Star Wars” franchise. The second trilogy of “A New Hope,” “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi” are a superb blend of excitement, action and story.
Then there are the other three movies. Maybe it was just too much anticipation but those films don’t stood up to the others. I remain optimistic “The Force Awakens” will be good because of how director J.J. Abrams restarted the “Star Trek” franchise.
Not everything has been perfect with the “Star Wars” films when it comes to characters. Now that we know Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Leia, C-3PO, Chewbacca and R2-D2 are in the upcoming film, there’s reason to worry some of the less appealing characters will make an appearance.
Everyone has “Star Wars” characters they dislike the most. Here are my top five.
1. Jar Jar Binks: It’s hard to decided it it was his goofy look, camp nature or insulting speech pattern that made this character a total wreck. If Binks was eliminated from ‘Phantom Menace,” the movie would improve 100%.
The only saving grace is the character faded with each passing sequel.
2. The young Anikan Skywalker: George Lucas made “Star Wars” with young viewers in mind. He should have thought about adults who had to listen to Jake Lloyd’s awful performance.
Instead of teaching him the Force it should have been used to push him out of the movie.
3. Ewoks: The only reason these balls of fur are on Endor is to be part of a stuffed animal toy line. From their annoying chatter to their Tarzan treehouses, the Ewoks are as entertaining as a furball.
4. The Cantina Band: As if it matters, but the real name of the group in the first “Star Wars” movie was Figrin D’an and the Modal Nodes. That translates to butt-head guys with instruments.
You would think a civilization with such huge brains would know the electro/disco sound would never last.
5. Salacious B. Crumb: This is the feral catlike creature that hangs around with Jabba the Hutt. When your lone job is to pick out the eye of an android, it’s time to make a call to animal control.
Those are my picks. Send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.