“Ye Olde Destruction” is a car movie masquerading as a skateboarding documentary.
Or maybe it’s the other way around.
Think “Mad Maxx,” only slightly less dystopian. There’s even a destruction derby-style finale, where the cars become obstacles for the skaters to ride.
Directed by well-know skateboard artist/photographer/filmmaker Thomas Campbell, the documentary was shot on 16-mm film over the past seven years and follows two cars (a ’70s Cadillac and black Ford station wagon) each with a collection of skaters on a road trip that includes stops through the central San Joaquin Valley — including Bakersfield and Visalia, where the film gets a screening Friday at Cellar Door.
The event is being put on by Sound N Vision Foundation and Um Yeah Arts as a fundraiser and performance art piece, curated by Visalia native Darren Lee.
Lee has assembled a cast of musicians — longtime friends like Marc Dwelle, Caleb Gomes and Aaron Estes plus some players from Santa Cruz — to perform the film’s score, live.
Details: 7 p.m. Friday. The Cellar Door, 101 W. Main St., Vislaia. $10. All ages. 559-636-9463, www.ticketweb.com
Other noteworthy events
▪ Dude Perfect, 7 p.m. Saturday. Save Mart Center. $23-$118. 559-278-3400, www.ticketmaster.com
▪ Justin Moore, 8 p.m. Saturday. Chukchansi Gold Resort and Casino, 711 Lucky Lane, Coarsegold. $55-$65, 866-794-6946, chukchansigold.com
▪ In a Landscape concert series, 3 p.m. Saturday. Central Sierra Historical Society and Museum 42642 Tollhouse Rd., Shaver Lake. $25-$100. 559-841-4478, sierrahistorical.org
▪ Jamie Kennedy, 7 p.m. Saturday. Tower Theatre, 815. E. Olive Ave. $29.50. 559-485-9050, www.towertheatrefresno.com
▪ X-Raided, 8 p.m. Saturday. Fulton 55, 875 E. Divisadero Ave. $30. 559-412-7400, www.fulton55.com
▪ “Newsies”, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday. Saroyan Theatre, 700 M St. $39-$94. 559-445-8100, www.ticketmaster.com