Enter the Warzone, sweeping up the shards of a broken bracket.
• Some years the NCAA Tournament gives us upsets and underdogs. In others it gives us brand names and predictability.
Any time UCLA becomes the Cinderella story, you know where 2015 slots in.
• This year’s Sweet 16 includes three No. 1 seeds, two No. 2s, two No. 3s, two No. 4s and two No. 5s — more chalk than a pool hall.
Even the two remaining No. 7s (Michigan State and Wichita State) are established powers. Nary a Florida Gulf Coast, Richmond or Virginia Commonwealth in sight.
• As the Fresno Grizzlies prepare to unveil “the boldest promotion in history of professional sports” (gotta love minor-league baseball hyperbole), we’re told two potential buyers recently toured the team’s offices and got a peek at the books.
So perhaps the Grizzlies may soon have new owners to go with their new parent club …
• Right-handers Dan Straily and Asher Wojciechowski likely will be part of the Grizzlies’ opening day rotation while top prospect Mark Appel appears headed to Double-A Corpus Christi.
Goodness gracious, we’re actually talking Astros baseball.
• WithSave Mart Center booked
for Cirque de Soleil, why doesn’t Fresno State offer up North Gym as a home site for the Women’s NIT?
It can’t. Recent renovations included removal of just about all the seating.
• Both Bulldogs track and field teams open their seasons Tuesday against Cal Poly, San Jose State and Cal State Bakersfield in a twilight meet at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Clovis.
Why isn’t the meet at Warmerdam Field? Anyone who’s seen the condition of the track needn’t ask.
• Riding a four-game winning streak, the Fresno State baseball team is now 14-11. Just wanted to mention that.
• Coach Mike Batesole’s unique strategy of batting his DH eighth — and using the first seven hitters to determine whom to send to the plate — paid off handsomely in the past two games.
So there is a method to the madness.
• The Warriors have the NBA’s best record, the likely MVP (Steph Curry) and the specter of Oklahoma City lurking in the first round isn’t nearly as scary with Kevin Durant sidelined.
Maybe Andrew Bogut can be placed into one of those Space Odyssey-style sleep capsules until May.
• Don’t see how the NFL can prevent Stan Kroenke (and the Rams) from moving to Los Angeles.
Simple reason: He has more money than they do.
• The NFL blacked out its own dumb blackout policy. Here’s one suspension everyone can agree with.
• Evidence one of the more vile human beings on earth can be the same smiling face on your TV screen:Darren Sharper
No prison sentence is long enough for a serial rapist.
• The Giants sent out a news release to remind everyone the World Series trophy tour has entered its final week.
Because no one wants to be reminded about a 6-16 Cactus League record.
• Only in baseball can a 22-year-old sign a guaranteed contract worth $35 million and three years later be drastically underpaid.
But when Madison Bumgarner says he doesn’t look at it that way, you actually believe him.
• After ousting Hall of Famer Tom Seaver in theFresno Famous Bobblehead Contest
, Sheriff Margaret Mims then knocked off Jerry Tarkanian.
Clearly, county inmates are not allowed to vote.
• For no particular reason: Shane Costa
• Saddened to hear about the passing of Truman Campbell, just two months after he shuttered the Silver Dollar Hofbrau.
Two Fresno institutions that will live on in our memories.
• Happy trails to Ron Orozco, who ishanging up his spurs
after 41 years as a Bee reporter including 25 in sports.
They don’t make ’em any kinder than Ron O, as anyone who has met the man can attest.