Enter the Warzone, blossoms of flowery prose.
• If Fresno State’s quarterback derby was an actual horse race, consider Zack Greenlee the early pace-setter.
Greenlee isn’t lengths ahead of Kilton Anderson or Chason Virgil, but this railbird has him nosing into the early lead.
• The 10 pounds Greenlee put on in the weight room have thickened his lower body and given him a stronger throwing base. The results are noticeable.
• Marteze Waller hasn’t taken a snap in either of the spring scrimmages.
Nor should he. And considering the Bulldogs’ tailback depth, Waller might want to save it for Abilene Christian.
• Poor tackling plagued Fresno State the past two seasons, especially in the secondary.
There have been several not-so-subtle signs of improvement in that area this spring. Even the second-team corners are hitters.
• During Monday’s practice, several members of the track team were crab-walking up and down the stadium steps.
Since they were female members of the track team, you can be certain the players noticed, as well.
• This year, the NCAA Tournament feels more like a coronation. Field of 68? More like Kentucky and 67 serfs.
• Suppose it’s possible Kentucky could lose. Mark it down for sometime in November-December.
• Even in a down year, the Mountain West Conference still sent three teams to the NCAAs. That’s a pretty decent measure of respect.
• Not sure whether Colorado State should be more upset with the tournament committee — or at San Diego State for losing to Wyoming.
• We’ve learned never to take these things for granted, but Fresno State next season could have a roster flush with seniors (Marvelle Harris, Cezar Guerrero, Julien Lewis) and juniors (Paul Watson, Karachi Edo, Emmanuel Owootoah).
Sounds like a recipe for success, or else.
• Next year it’s our sincere hope the Bulldogs, both men and women, don’t play all their MW Tournament games at 8:30 p.m.
Takes dinner at Lotus of Siam right off the menu.
• Fact: If actual NFL games were as wildly entertaining as last week’s frenzy of signings and trades, no one would care that Roger Goodell is such a clod.
• The Raiders can’t land a big-name free agent, even though history shows those kinds of moves rarely work out.
Usually for the Raiders.
• The 49ers signed Reggie Bush, best used in the short-passing game. Bad fit for Colin Kaepernick, who has trouble throwing short passes.
• Chip Kelly, you beautiful football coach. Thanks for not being boring.
• We’ve reached the point in the NBA season where everyone just wants to get to the playoffs. Except there’s still a month left of regular-season slogging.
• If Pete Rose were a more sympathetic figure, new MLB commissioner Rob Manfred would have more reason to reinstate him.
But Rose isn’t. And Manfred doesn’t.
• The Bulldogs baseball team is 10-11. Rationalize it all you want (tough schedule, seven one-run losses), but it’s still 10-11.
• Thanks to Gnarley Charley’s Armey of voters, now we know what afirst-round loser
feels like. (Fresno Famous
is a registered trademark of The Fresno Bee.)
Oh, well. At least the universe is safe knowing this dome will never be bobbleheaded.
• Besides, with Derek Carr, Richard Kiel and Heidi Watney on the same side of the Fresno Famous bracket, what chance did we really have?
• For no particular reason: Geno Espineli
• Rory McIlroy is replacing Tiger Woods on the cover of EA Sports’ latest golf video game.
Leaving Woods free for the next cover of Popular Mechanics.
• One night afterhe shoved Raptor
to the court, Robin Lopez’s rampage against NBA mascots continued when he took away G-Wiz’s wizard hat and placed it atop the rim.
The man must be stopped … or encouraged.