Enter the Warzone, hard truths in soft packaging.
• After Fresno State fell behind 17-0 on Friday night with its disjointed offense netting one first down (Marteze Waller’s 41-yard run) in four drives, it was time to make a quarterback change.
If Brandon Connette can manufacture a second-quarter touchdown drive against USC, surely he could’ve done so against UNLV.
• Since his first 300-yard passing game against New Mexico, Brian Burrell has struggled. Against San Diego State’s defense, it’s forgivable. Against UNLV’s, it isn’t.
Players at other positions are benched for poor performances -- even if just for a series or two. The quarterback shouldn’t be immune.
• No, it isn’t time for redshirt freshman Zack Greenlee. But it might be soon enough.
• Tim DeRuyter said people should blame him for the loss to UNLV.
Oh, they are, Coach. They are.
• At least DeRuyter managed to get through his entire Monday news conference without uttering anything that resembled “All our goals are still ahead of us.”
Senior receiver Josh Harper nearly did but tripped up during his final answer.
• Boise State has two losses -- one to No. 3 Mississippi, which has one of the nation’s stingiest defenses; the other to Air Force, which forced seven turnovers.
So, no, Fresno State’s chances Friday night don’t look good.
• The Bulldogs haven’t defeated Boise State at Bronco Stadium in 30 years. Back when the blue turf was still green.
• This Giants-Cardinals NLCS has all the earmarks of a seven-game classic, just like the last one. Or for those with longer memories, 1987.
• Other teams score runs when a runner comes home from third base on a wild pitch. The Giants do it from second.
Not sure it's possible to score from first on a wild pitch. But you know Yasiel Puig is itching to try.
• Game 3 of the ALCS was postponed due to heavy rain in Kansas City. Shoulda had Lorenzo Cain, Jerrod Dyson and Terrance Gore out there running around with buckets.
• Chukchansi Park may be the only stadium in the country named for a business that isn’t technically open for business.
• Between the Chukchansi mess, the team being for sale and the need for a new stadium lease, the Fresno Grizzlies’ affiliation switch may be the least of their problems.
• Raiders interim coach Tony Sparano doesn’t wear sunglasses indoors to look cool. He wears them because he splashed hot grease in his eyes as a teenager and they remain sensitive to light.
But they do look cool.
• The Cowboys going to CenturyLink Field and kicking the Seahawks’ butts is the most significant development of the NFL season.
That doesn’t involve women, children, cover-ups or lies.
• Texas prosecutors say Adrian Peterson admitted to “smoking a little weed” before taking a drug test.
The time to do that, Adrian, is when you have the urge to hit your kid.
• For no particular reason: So Taguchi
• Ran into ex-Bulldogs third baseman Tommy Mendonca watching horse racing at the Big Fresno Fair.
Yup, he had on his 2008 College World Series ring: “It’s the only time I get to wear it.”
• Our first thought at seeing a jam-packed Tatarian Grandstand on a weekday afternoon:
Doesn’t anyone in this town have a job?
• You might be wondering what we were doing there.
Uh uh research?