Mount Whitney lottery now open
For hikers and backpackers looking to take on Mount Whitney between May 1 and Nov. 1, the application period is now open.
The lottery process for permits to scale the highest point in the contiguous United States (14,497 feet) opened Feb. 1 and closes March 15.
Applicants will need to know the group size, designate a leader and specify whether they are seeking a day hike or overnight permit.
Never miss a local story.
Up to 15 alternate trip choices and as many as three leader selections can be submitted on one application for a $6 fee.
Lottery winners must pay a $15 per person reservation fee by April 30. Unclaimed reservation opportunities will be canceled.
Those selecting early or late dates are cautioned that the trail might not be clear of snow.
End of Trail Half Marathon kicks off Valley Runner of the Year Series
The End of Trail Half Marathon & 10K on Saturday marks the start of this year’s Valley Runner of the Year Series.
The 13.1-mile half marathon on the course at Mooney Grove Park in Visalia is one of 15 events on the runner of the year schedule and is worth 20 points.
A half marathon walk is scheduled to start at 6:30 a.m., with the run at 7:30 a.m. The 10K run is scheduled for 8 a.m.
Registration is $45 for the 10K, $55 for the walk and $65 for the half marathon run.
Registrants will receive chip timing, a two-color, short-sleeve panel tech race shirt, finishers medal (half marathon only) and a hot breakfast at the finish.
Awards will be handed out to the winners of the following age groups: 19 and younger, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 66-69 and 70 and older.
Proceeds benefit local high school running programs, athlete scholarships and community running events.
Valley Runner of the Year Series
• Saturday, End of Trail Half Marathon & 10K
• Feb. 14, JUSTicia (formerly Race Judicata) Fun Run/Walk 5K
• Feb. 28, UCP Brian Sturgeon Run 10K
• March 7, Blossom Trail Run 10K
• April 11, Run for Relief 10K
• April 12, Cross the River Run 10K
• April 19, Show Me the Finish Line, 2-mile
• April 25, Shinzen Run/Walk, 5-mile
• May 9, Mother’s Day Run/Walk 10K
• June 6, Miracle Mile of Quarters Run/Walk, 1-mile
• June 21, Father’s Day Run/Walk, 6-mile
• Sept. 26, Smokey Bear Run 10K
• Oct. 3, Harvest Run/Walk 5K
• Oct. 10, Fiesta Run/Walk, 5-mile
• Oct. 24, Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure 5K