When the ex-Fresno State star broke his right leg in a Christmas Eve game against the Indianapolis Colts, it bothered him well beyond the field.
Eight months later, Carr reflected after Wednesday’s practice on what it was like to be unable to do all that he wanted for sons Dallas and Deker.
“It made me realize just how thankful I am,” he said. “Not for the football stuff, but to be able to walk my kids and put ’em in bed. To be able to have my son bump his knee and I can go walk over and pick him up. Because there were times when I broke my ankle, he’d fall down or do something, and I couldn’t get there.”
The Raiders are preparing for their first exhibition game of 2017 against the Arizona Cardinals on Saturday in Glendale, Ariz. Carr said he hasn’t been told by coaches if he’s going to play, even for one token series as is common for the starters to begin the preseason.
My main focus when I come out here everyday is just to have fun.
Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr
“I hope I do,” Carr said. “That’s up to the coaches. To be back out here going into our first preseason game, I’m just having so much fun. That’s all I tried to do this camp. Honestly, my main focus every day coming out here is just have fun because like everyone knows, it can go just like that.”
Raiders’ key dates
A look at important dates coming up
- Aug. 17: Break camp (Back to Alameda)
- Sept. 2: Roster reductions to 53
- Aug. 12: at Arizona, 7 p.m.
- Aug. 19: vs. Los Angeles Rams, 7 p.m.
- Aug. 26: at Dallas, 5 p.m.
- Aug. 31: vs. Seattle, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 10: at Tennessee, 10 a.m.
- Sept. 17: New York Jets, 1:05 p.m.
- Sept. 24: at Washington, 5:30 p.m.
- Oct. 1: at Denver, 1:25 p.m.
- Oct. 8: Baltimore, 1:05 p.m.
- Oct. 15: Los Angeles Chargers, 1:25 p.m.
- Oct. 19: Kansas City, 5:25 p.m.
- Oct. 29: at Buffalo, 10 a.m.
- Nov. 5: x-at Miami, 5:30 p.m.
- Nov. 12: Bye
- Nov. 19: New England (Mexico City), 1:25 p.m.
- Nov. 26: Denver, 1:25 p.m.
- Dec. 3: New York Giants, 1:25 p.m.
- Dec. 10: at Kansas City, 10 a.m.
- Dec. 17: x-Dallas, 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 25: at Philadelphia, 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 31: at Los Angeles Chargers, 1:25 p.m.
x-Subject to change