Buchanan High setter Kyle Merchen was one of 12 players selected to the USA Volleyball boys youth national team and will represent the Stars and Stripes at an international tournament in Cuba.
Merchen, who will be a junior in the fall, was one of three setters chosen by USA Volleyball for the NORCECA Boys Under-19 Continental Championship on June 24-29 in Havana.
As a sophomore, Merchen was the Bears’ starting setter and helped the team to a 33-4 overall record and a third straight Central Section Division I title.
The U.S. boys national team is coached by Sam Shweisky, who also is the men’s volleyball coach at Princeton.
Never miss a local story.
The U.S. is the defending champion of the NORCECA Boys’ U19 Continental Championship, and will open competition with pool play against Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua. The second pool is Antigua & Barbuda, Cuba, Jamaica and Mexico.
The winner of the tournament will qualify for the 2017 FIVB Boys’ U19 World Championship.
U.S. Boys’ Youth National Team Roster
- Brandon Browning (OH, 6-4, Corona del Mar)
- Chris Hall (S, 6-2, Alhambra)
- Jaylen Jasper (OH, 6-7, Arnold, Md.)
- Devin Joslyn (OH, 6-5, Angola, N.Y.)
- Sam Lewis (MB, 6-10, Long Beach)
- Jack Mathews (MB, 6-4, Tustin)
- Kyle Merchen (S, 6-4, Clovis)
- Cole Paxson (L, 5-11, Laguna Beach)
- Kyler Presho (MB, 6-8, San Clemente)
- J.P. Reilly (OH, 6-4, Manhattan Beach)
- Sean Ryan (OH, 6-3, Countryside, Ill.,)
- Joel Schneidmiller (OH, 6-6, Saratoga)
- Alternates: Eli Irizarry (S, 6-1, Moraga), Chris McBee (OH, 6-4, Rancho Palos Verdes), Thomas Nelson (L, 6-1, San Ramon), Canyon Tuman (MB, 6-7, Sewickley, Pa.)
- Coaching staff: Head coach Sam Schweisky (Princeton), associate head coach Brad Keller (UCLA), technical coordinator Kevin Burch (Ohio State)