Fresno State has win No. 2 on the young baseball season, while coach Mike Batesole has those in his pocket plus 698 more in his career.
The Bulldogs for the second straight day edged Creighton 2-1 on Saturday in game 2 of a season-opening three-game series at Beiden Field, with Batesole earning victory No. 700.
“700 is a big number,” said Batesole, who according to the university is the 38th active head coach in the NCAA to reach that milestone. “It means the Good Lord has brought me good coaches who have brought me good players and add to the mix great alumni and the Dugout Club who has our back and an administration that is doing everything they can to help us win; that is a pretty good recipe for success right there.”
444-354 Mike Batesole’s record in 13-plus seasons at Fresno State; he is 700-512-1 in 21 seasons overall
Never miss a local story.
McCarthy Tatum fueled the Bulldogs offensively, with RBI doubles in the second and fourth innings. Tatum, a sophomore who starred at Clovis High, is 5 for 7 thrugh two games.
Jimmy Lambert tossed 6 1/3 innings for Fresno State, allowing a run on seven hits while striking out two. Tim Borst delivered the save for the second game in a row.
The series concludes at 1:05 p.m. Sunday.
Fresno State’s Mike Batesole earned his 700th career victory Saturday in his 21st season as a Division I coach, the past 14 with the Bulldogs. Here is a look at some earlier feats:
- 600th career win against Cal Poly (5-3) on April 17, 2012
- 500th career win against Sacramento State (15-7) on May 14, 2009
- 400th career win against Iowa on March 13, 2007 (14-6)
- 400th career Fresno State win against UNLV on April 5, 2014 (2-0)
- 300th career win against Louisiana Tech on April 4, 2004 (12-4)
- 100th win as a Bulldog against Portland on March 5, 2006
- Third head coach in Fresno State history to have over 100 wins (Bob Bennett-1,302; Pete Beiden-601)
Source: Fresno State Athletics