Fresno State might be playing its best baseball down the stretch.
The Bulldogs won 2 of 3 over the weekend at San Diego State, including an 11-2 victory in the conference finale Saturday afternoon.
A 13-3 loss to the Aztecs on Friday locked Fresno State into the No. 3 seed for the four-team Mountain West Tournament, though the Bulldogs still have won nine of their past 11conference games.
Fresno State (31-23, 18-12) took 2 of 3 from San Diego State (38-18, 20-10) to wrap up regular-season conference play. The Bulldogs, however, needed a sweep to move up a seed in the Mountain West Tournament.
Never miss a local story.
Fresno State (31-23, 18-12) and San Diego State (38-18, 20-10) will meet for the seventh time this season when the double-elimination tournament begins Thursday in Albuquerque, N.M. First pitch is 2 p.m.
The teams split the regular-season series at 3-3.
Top-seeded New Mexico (29-25-1, 19-9-1) will take on No. 4 Nevada (19-34, 13-16) in the other first-round matchup.
Fresno State still has one more nonconference game to close out the regular season, hosting Gonzaga (30-17) at 6:05 p.m. Monday at Beiden Field at Bennett Stadium.
But it figures that the tournament and a likely eventual showdown with the hosts will be on the Bulldogs’ minds.
2-16 Fresno State’s all-time record when playing New Mexico in Albuquerque, N.M.
Last year, Fresno State was the top seed but went two-and-out, including a 25-6 loss to Nevada to close its run. The tournament, like this year, was in New Mexico.
Fresno State also is just 2-16 in school history in games against the Lobos in Albuquerque.
The Bulldogs’ first game in the Land of Enchantment this season was a 24-4 loss – the largest margin of defeat for coach Mike Batesole in his 15-year tenure.
Fresno State won 2-1 in 11 innings but then lost 6-2 in its most recent game in New Mexico.
▪ Bulldogs junior left-hander Ricky Tyler Thomas (7-3, 3.70 ERA) finished as the Mountain West regular-season ERA leader.
▪ Junior infielder Aaron Arruda leads the conference in RBIs (64) and is second in hitting at .388 and homers (15).
A postseason look ahead
MOUNTAIN WEST TOURNAMENT
- Thursday: No. 3 Fresno State vs. No. 2 San Diego State, 2 p.m. at Isotopes Stadium in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Records: Bulldogs (31-23 overall, 18-12); Aztecs (38-18, 20-10)
- Other first-round game: No. 1 New Mexico (29-25-1, 19-9-1) vs. No. 4 Nevada (19-34, 13-16), 6 p.m.
- Remaining schedule: Friday, elimination game at 2 p.m., winners at 6 p.m.; Saturday, noon elimination game, 4 p.m. championship; Sunday, noon, if necessary
- Of note: Double-elimination tournament earns champion an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament. … Fresno State and San Diego State split their regular-season series at 3-3.