Two Fresno Fuego players are finalists for the Premier Development League’s top awards.
Fuego forward Christian Chaney is one of three finalists for the MVP award after scoring 14 goals and assisting on one in 13 matches. Chaney, ranked the No. 1 prospect in the 67-team PDL, helped the Fuego stay unbeaten in 10 straight matches during the regular season.
The other MVP nominees are Ocean City’s Chevaughn Walsh (16 goals, five assists) and Calgary Foothills FC’s Dominic Russo. Russo has nine goals, including three in four playoff matches to lead Calgary into Saturday’s PDL national championship against the Michigan Bucks.
Fuego goalkeeper Agustin Rey is one of three finalists for Goalkeeper of the Year. Rey had seven clean sheets, helping the Fuego to a 10-3-1 regular-season record.
In addition to being shortlisted for the league’s top awards, Chaney and Rey were selected to the All-Western Conference team.
The PDL will announce the award winners Friday.
2016 ALL-LEAGUE NOMINEES
Most Valuable Player
- Christian Chaney, Fresno Fuego
- Dominic Russo, Calgary Foothills FC
- Chevaughn Walsh, Ocean City
Goalkeeper of the Year
- Nico Campbell, Des Moines Menace
- Ryan Cretens, Carolina Dynamo
- Agustin Rey, Fresno Fuego
Defender of the Year
- Alhassan Abubakar, Michigan Bucks
- Tom Owens, Michigan Bucks
- Josh Taylor, OKC Energy U-23
Coach of the Year
- Demir Muftari, Michigan Bucks
- Rick Schantz, FC Tucson
- Chris Spendlove, OKC Energy U-23
Young Player of the Year
- Sven Konig, K.W. United FC
- Tate Schmitt, FC Tucson
- Mark Verso, FC Golden State Force