Fresno City College started preparation for a new football season this week, launching the countdown to the Sept. 5 opener at De Anza.
The Rams, returning five starters on offense and eight on defense, opened fall practice Thursday, went to full pads Saturday and will resume Monday.
Christian Rossi will return as the full-time starting quarterback after serving in a rotation a year ago.
Some of the other key returners: linebacker Chris Woolbright; defensive backs Tajhe Moore and Deeldrick Taylor; wide receivers Darius Green and James Whitfield; and offensive linemen Sammy Madden and Darian Warford.
“I like the athleticism of this football team,” coach Tony Caviglia said. “I like that we have great depth in every position.”
Caviglia is entering his 17th season as the Rams coach. He is six wins away from tying the late Clare Slaughter for the most wins in school history. Through his first 16 years, Caviglia is 130-46.
Last season, the Rams finished 7-4 overall and 3-2 in the Valley Conference. Fresno City capped its season with a 35-21 victory over Santa Rosa at the State Center Bowl.
The red/white intrasquad scrimmage is at 6 p.m. Aug. 22 at Ratcliffe Stadium.
“I’m really looking for improvement each and every day we’re on the field," Caviglia said. "Start paying attention to details, and minimizing mistakes.”
The Rams’ home opener is Sept. 12 against Sierra.
- Aug. 22 Red/White scrimmage, 6 p.m.
- Aug. 30 Wall of Fame, 5 p.m. at Pardini’s
- Sept. 5 season opener at De Anza, 2 p.m.
- Sept. 12 home opener vs. Sierra, 5 p.m.
- Sept. 5: at De Anza, 2 p.m.
- Sept. 12: vs. Sierra, 5 p.m.
- Sept. 19: vs. City College of San Francisco, 6 p.m.
- Sept. 26: at Butte, 6 p.m. (Oroville)
- Oct. 3: at Reedley, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 10: Bye
- Oct. 17: vs. Laney*, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 24: at Chabot*, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 31: vs. San Joaquin Delta*, 1 p.m.
- Nov. 7: at Modesto*, 1 p.m.
- Nov. 14: vs. COS*, 1 p.m.
*Valley Conference game