Fresno City College suffered its third consecutive loss, done in by a stellar pitching performance in a 2-0 loss to Los Medanos on Friday at John Euless Ballpark.
The Rams, ranked No. 3 in the NorCal preseason poll, fall to 1-3 and will look to even their record when both teams play a doubleheader at 11 a.m. Saturday.
The No. 18 Mustangs improved to 2-1.
Rain washed out action in the Valley and to the south, with Merced the only other Central Valley Conference team to get in its game. The No. 10 Blue Devils beat Cañada 6-5.
Never miss a local story.
Star of the day – That honor goes to Los Medanos RH Gabe Taylor, who tossed a five-hitter in his first career shutout.
Stat of the day – 14 … total combined strikeouts for the Fresno City and Los Medanos starting pitchers. Right-hander Efrain Del Rio got the start for the Rams and fanned seven in six innings. Taylor equaled that while going the distance.
More Saturday action – West Hills (0-3) will look to complete a wild win that’s three days in the making. The Falcons host Barstow for a scheduled 1 p.m. game, but first will finish up Thursday’s darkness-delayed affair. In that one, which began in Barstow, the Falcons lead 13-10 in the top of the ninth but the Vikings will be batting with the bases loaded and nobody out.
▪ Sequoias continues its namesake tournament, hosting Mission at 2 p.m. The Giants (3-0) beat South preseason No. 4 Golden West 6-4 on Thursday.
▪ Reedley finally was cooled off – by the weather. The No. 17 Tigers, off to a 4-0 start, saw Friday’s game against Golden West postponed by rain but will try to get a pair when they host South No. 13 Bakersfield at noon and Golden West at 3 p.m., also as part of the Sequoias Tournament.
▪ Porterville wraps up a four-game series with Siskiyous with the second of two doubleheaders, with games scheduled for 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. The Pirates (2-4) split with the Eagles on Thursday, winning 11-2 and losing 5-2.
▪ Taft (1-1), after Friday’s game at Los Angeles Harbor was postponed by rain, will host Harbor in a doubleheader scheduled for an 11 a.m. start.
▪ Merced (1-2) wraps up its two-game series with Cañada at 1 p.m.