Wide receiver Davante Adams and the rest of the Green Bay Packers are having fun now.
The former Fresno State star in Week 3 recorded his second touchdown this season, helping the Packers to a 34-27 victory over the Detroit Lions.
His touchdown came in the first quarter on a 14-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers. Adams finished with two receptions for 23 yards.
Adams pointed out that teammate Jordy Nelson’s play before his score allowed Adams to free up on the touchdown.
“It’s really contagious to see him make a play like that and freeze up everybody,” Adams said. “So worry about what Jordy is doing and they forgot about me in the slot and I get a touchdown. Jordy is a great tool to have out there with us.”
Nelson is coming back strong after tearing his ACL last August. He finished with six receptions for 101 yards and two touchdowns against the Lions.
Adams had a breakout rookie season in 2014 with 38 catches for 446 yards\and three touchdowns while playing all 16 games. Last year he played in 13 games and had 50 catches for 483 yards in Nelson’s absence. He scored his lone touchdown in Week 13.
The Packers have a bye this week.
Carr progressing - Raiders quarterback Derek Carr (Fresno State) helped the Oakland Raiders to a 17-10 victory over the Tennessee Titans when he completed 21 of 35 for 249 yards and a touchdown.
Through three games, Carr has passed for 867 yards with five touchdowns – the most he’s had after three games since entering the league in 2014.
Carr, who made his 35th consecutive start, threw his first interception of the season against the Titans.
Golden injured - Former Edison High star Robert Golden has always been a reliable player for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The safety started in Sunday’s 34-3 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles – extending his streak of consecutive regular-season games played to 63, the fifth longest active streak among NFL safeties.
Golden, however, had to leave early in the first quarter after suffering a right hamstring injury.
Golden said it was more of a tweak – “I’m cool,” he said – and is hopeful he can play Sunday against the visiting Kansas City Chiefs. He had an MRI Monday.
Et cetera – Eagles running back Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) had two carries for minus-5 yards before leaving the game against the Steelers with an ankle injury. Eagles linebacker Mychal Kendricks (Hoover) had a tackle.
▪ Los Angeles Rams offensive lineman Cody Wichmann (Fresno State) made his 10th career start in a 37-32 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Rams safety T.J. McDonald (Edison) had three tackles and recorded his fifth career sack in the second quarter.
▪ Chiefs cornerback Steven Nelson (College of the Sequoias) made his third career start and had three tackles and three pass deflections in the Chiefs’ 24-3 victory over the Jets. New York defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson (COS) finished with six tackles and had a half-sack. He also had a tackle for a loss and a quarterback hit.
▪ New Orleans Saints defensive tackle Tyeler Davison (Fresno State) was inactive Monday before the Saints fell to the Atlanta Falcons 45-32. Davison is nursing a shoulder injury suffered in Week 2.
▪ Minnesota linebacker Eric Kendricks (Hoover) led the Vikings with 12 tackles and also had a pass deflection in their 22-10 victory over the Carolina Panthers. In 17 career games, Kendricks has 115 tackles with four sacks, four passes defended, an interception for a touchdown and a forced fumble.
▪ Baltimore Ravens linebacker Chris Carter (Fresno State) had a tackle in a 19-17 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
▪ San Diego offensive lineman Kenny Wiggins (Fresno State) played his first game this season, but the Chargers fell to the Indianapolis Colts 26-22.
▪ Cincinnati Bengals safety Derron Smith (Fresno State) had two tackles in a 29-17 loss to the Denver Broncos. Denver tight end Virgil Green (Tulare) was inactive with a strained calf.
▪ Tennessee Titans cornerback Curtis Riley (Fresno State) was promoted to the team’s 53-man roster but was inactive against the Raiders.