• California is in the fourth year of a severe drought.
• Gov. Jerry Brown orders California residents to cut water use 20%.
• Families in a small Northern California town run out of water.
• Dry weeds and bushes fill highway roadsides and city medians creating a dangerous fire hazard.
• Workers lose jobs as drought forces farmers to fallow thousands of farmland acres.
• Recent photo in The Bee shows a truck crossing a San Joaquin River bridge over a bone-dry, weed and old tire filled river bed.
• California Game and Fisheries dump thousands of fishery-hatched young salmon in a San Joaquin river pool at the foot of a Sierra Nevada foothills dam, hoping the fish return there to spawn. CGF then retrieves these young salmon from the river pool, trucks them 150 miles to the Sacramento Delta, and releases them to swim out to sea.
• Salmon have not lived in the warm San Joaquin river for over 60 years. Water vital to the survival of humans, animals, birds and food crops is draining out to sea so salmon can travel up a dry riverbed to spawn in an arid landscape. Anyone else see the insanity of that?