After reading about the female college student who was reportedly raped, I felt compelled to write.a few safety suggestions.
▪ At a sporting goods store, buy a can of pepper spray and a police whistle.
▪ When leaving your last class, check your phone for messages. Turn it off and put it away.
▪ Get your pepper spray ready to use with your car keys in the opposite hand. Before getting to your car, look for anyone lurking around.
Never miss a local story.
▪ When getting to your car door (especially at night) open door a couple of inches to cause the interior lights to come on. Look to see if anyone is in the back seat, because you may have accidentally left the car door unlocked. If everything is OK, get in and lock doors immediately.
▪ When you get home, get pepper spray ready to use again.
▪ Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Don't walk around looking at your cell phone especially at night.
Walt Van Norsdall, Clovis