Hey there. It’s Monday, Aug. 1, 2016. Thanks for checking out the inaugural Morning Scoop!
What You Need to Know
• The National Transportation Safety Board has released more information about what caused a hot air balloon carrying 16 people to crash to the ground.
• Firefighters still are battling the 1,800-acre Goose Fire near Prather and Tollhouse. Check out video from the scene while you think about what you’d take if you had to evacuate your home right now.
Never miss a local story.
• There’s a 49-acre patch of unused land in southeast Fresno, and a lot of people have a lot of thoughts and feelings about what to do with it.
• Miss Teen USA has found out the hard way that the permanent record they warn you about in school is actually called “the internet.”
• A skydiver has successfully jumped out of a plane with no parachute and landed in a net, making our complaints about Mondays being difficult seem kind of silly.
What You Want to Know
• There are at least 10 genuinely amazing things to discover at the Mariposa Museum & History Center and – SPOILER ALERT – a mule named Jiggs is one of them.
• Fresno City College’s new president, Dr. Carole Goldsmith, has a favorite Fresno bar. Nope, not that one. It’s this one.
• California is responsible for a lot of the total wine production in the U.S. Like, a lot. Way more than you drink. I mean, think.
What You Wish You Didn’t Know
• It’s summertime, and the living is easy. Unless you’re someone who breathes, then the living is very, very difficult right now.
• It’s also fire season, so everyone just try to be really careful and don’t do anything stupid. Okay? Cool.