It’s Monday, Aug. 14, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Valley child abuse experts say they are seeing more cases of children with severe injuries – or worse. “We have enough cases to keep a full-time child homicide prosecutor busy,” an assistant district attorney says.
• Freelance journalist Austin Tice begins his sixth year of captivity in Syria today. Help us honor his sacrifice by sharing his story.
Never miss a local story.
• Bill McEwen drops a big question: At what point do city leaders stop thinking that convenience and liquor stores add to the commerce or fabric of the community?
• Allegiant Air is the only carrier with nonstop flights between Fresno and Las Vegas. But passengers may feel they’re gambling before they even get off the ground here, thanks to the airline’s spotty track record.
• A man photographed at the Charlotteville white supremacist rally has lost his job at a Berkeley hot dog restaurant.
Watch This Video
• For a Monday morning smile, let’s turn to a reliable source: Tim Tebow.
Good Stuff to Know
• The annual Taco Truck Throwdown put a big spotlight on the Valley’s best. But where can you find these awesome tacos today, tomorrow or next week? Wonder no more.
• Quarterback Marcus McMaryion is on the practice field with his new Fresno State teammates, throwing footballs and getting loose.
• Heads up, kale fans: Vegetarians have a higher risk of depression compared to those who eat meat and consume a conventional balanced diet, a new study says.
• The Oakland Raiders’ meaningless – ahem ... preseason – football games won’t be aired on local TV. Blame Vegas.
• Enjoy a virtual getaway from the Valley heat with this 360-degree view of the Pacific from Cayucos Pier.
• Pro wrestling legend Ric Flair was admitted to a hospital, and his management is asking fans to offer their prayers.
• A couple married for 77 years will be together forever – in the same casket.