It’s Thursday, June 29, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• A new state law allows pot sales at county fairs. What does it mean in the Valley?
• Is this a turning point for the Tower District? Businesses are hopeful a new Fresno Police Department office will improve security in the neighborhood.
Never miss a local story.
• One in three people enrolled in a government-subsidized phone program might not qualify for the service, a new government audit finds.
• What an interesting court case. This Edison High football standout was accused in a robbery and looked to have lost his chance at a college scholarship. But a friend says it’s a mistake and steps forward
• These activists says they were told that calling a member of Congress is a federal crime.
• A video stunt went really wrong for this woman, an aspiring YouTube star.
• As the health care debate continues, this columnist asks, “Are we now a nation where we only take care of ourselves?” While Valley Children’s Hosptial’s CEO says the Republican proposal would be “a disaster for America’s children.”
A fire is burning near Mariposa, west of Ahwahnee. The Ben Fire had burned 400 acres as late Wednesday night.
Watch This Video
• Man live streams his takedown of a 10 Commandments monument.
Good Stuff to Know
• Yum! There’s a new gourmet ice pops player in town with crazy, fun flavors. Try it.
• This cat adoption description is getting some laughs. Nice kitty.
• Ha! This is so great and gives new spin to that “throws like a girl” sentiment. A MLB catcher was literally bowled over by this star softball player’s pitch.
• Uh oh! Suspected DUI driver rearends Visalia police car.
• This homeowner had a bad day. His house burned, then a neighbor allegedly stole his comic book collection.
• Whoa! This pregnant woman ran down a man who stole her purse, saying: “I was not going to let him get away with it,” she told WLOS.