It’s Friday, June 23, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Fresno has a real unique food story and it needs to tell it. That’s the advice from a top Food Network star to local chefs. Oh, and he says the best food he ate last year was here, thanks to Fresno State corn. Raise your hand if you agree. (Hand raised!)
• It takes work to be a beauty queen, just ask Miss Fresno County, who is competing for the Miss California title.
Never miss a local story.
• Senate Republicans released a draft of their health care plans, but four GOP senators quickly announced initial opposition to the measure.
• The heat wave is no joke, and looks to have caused the death of a Madera woman. Remember, these cooling centers are available, even if they’re not being heavily used. Here’s the forecast, if you dare to look.
• Here’s the latest on the man accused of shooting two correctional officers in the lobby of the Fresno County Jail.
• Um, what was that Fresno City Council vote on? Fresno pot ban has a hiccup in city council – but they did vote.
Watch This Video
• WOW! Those runaway trucks ramps really are useful.
Good Stuff to Know
• Derek Carr got a huge contract extension from the Oakland Raiders. And, living up to his good guy status, says: “I look forward to supporting charities and organizations that I am passionate about and that (wife) Heather and I care for deeply.” Can he be any nicer?
• Fresno is young and hip. Yep, you read that right. Just check out our image in these new ad campaigns.
• No more excuses. We should all know more about Sikhs. So, here, get started. We made it easy with these 10 things to know about Sikhs.
• If you like basketball, that NBA draft things is happening. Here’s what happened.
• Oh, Johnny Depp. Don’t you know that jokes about killing people are not funny.
• It’s not just cats that firefighers rescue from trees. Glad these guys got some help.
• Watch out for ants! Tropical Storm Cindy flooding raises the possibility of another threat: floating fire ants.